When you think about burgers, fast food chains and greasy patties might come to mind. But a keto burger is a different beast altogether.
These burgers are made with ground beef and flavored with spices like cumin and chili powder to give them a delicious Southwestern twist. Plus, they're topped with all sorts of healthy toppings like onion and tomato.
So if you're looking for a healthier version of your favorite summer dish, keep reading! We've got the perfect keto burger recipe for you.
There are three groups of ingredients: one goes inside the bun, one goes into making the patty, and finally the last one goes into making the sauce.
Keto burger bun and toppings
- 1 low-carb bun (or use our keto pandesal recipe)
- 1/2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 2 slices red onion
- 1 slice tomato
- 1 slice bacon
- 4 slices cucumber pickles
Keto burger patty
- 150 g ground beef
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- ½ tbsp olive oil, ghee, or lard
- Salt (to taste)
- Additional spices (to taste)
Keto burger sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sugar-free ketchup
- 1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/4 tbsp lemon juice
Serving size: 1 burger
- Calories: 735 kcal
- Fat: 59.1 g
- Net carbs: 7.2 g
- Total carbs: 18.2 g
- Fiber: 9.9 g
- Protein: 41.7 g
Breakdown for 1 keto burger, by ingredient:
In the same manner as the ingredients, the following instructions are provided for the preparation of three different items.
Instructions for preparing the keto burger patty
- The following ingredients should be mixed together for the patties: minced beef, salt, apple cider vinegar, pepper, onion powder, and garlic. You can also add optional spices like cumin, chili pepper, or rosemary. It is important not to overmix the burgers in order to prevent them from becoming tough.
- Divide the flavored beef into two equal parts. Form a ball with each part, and flatten each ball into a patty. If there are any cracks, smooth them out with your hands.
- Use a fork or toothpick to pierce the patties a few times. By doing so, you will loosen the patties and allow maximum caramelization while preventing them from curling or becoming tough.
- Heat up your pan or skillet and add olive oil, ghee, or lard to grease the pan.
- Add the burger patties to the hot pan. When the patties touch the pan, they should sizzle.
- Make sure you work in batches and don't overload the pan. The burgers should be cooked until a crust forms on the bottom and they can be easily flipped. You will need to wait for a few minutes for this to happen.
- The bottom should get crusty after flipping, and the sides should get browned as well. It will take longer for patties to be cooked if they are thicker. Once the meat is cooked through, put the patties on a plate and set aside.
- Now it is time to cook the bacon in the same pan. Each slice should be cut lengthwise and cooked until crispy and browned. Alternatively, you can also bake them in the oven.
Instructions for preparing the sauce
- Put the salt, pepper, lemon juice, ketchup, and mayonnaise into a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
Instructions for preparing the burger bun
- Heat the pan and grease it with butter.
- Brown the burger buns. When browning keto hamburger buns, make sure they are cut widthwise. Cook them hot in a skillet cut side down until they're browned and crispy. Once they are browned, put them on a plate.
- On each half of the bun, spread about 1 tsp of the burger sauce. Stack 4 slices of pickles on each lower half, then top with shredded lettuce.
- Add burger patty, 2 onion slices, 1 tomato slice, and 1 slice of cooked bacon.
- That's it! You are ready to serve it with low-carb ketchup and homemade mustard. For a more sophisticated presentation, serve with more pickles and a large salad of crisp vegetables drizzled with lemon and olive oil.
- (Optional) You can also add a keto-friendly cheese to it. Or better yet, melt the cheese on the burger directly while it is still hot.
Tips and tricks
- Make sure to use ground beef that is at least 20% fat. This will help to ensure that your burger is juicy and flavorful.
- Next, be sure to season your beef generously with salt, pepper, and other spices of your choice.
- Form the beef into patties that are about ½-inch thick. Thinner patties are more likely to dry out, so it is important to err on the side of thickness.
You can also create delicious keto-friendly burgers using a variety of different meats.
- For a slightly lighter version, you can try using ground turkey or chicken in place of the beef. These burgers are just as flavorful and juicy as their beefy counterparts, but with fewer calories.
- Finally or for a truly unique burger experience, try using ground lamb. This succulent meat has a rich flavor that pairs perfectly with all of your favorite toppings and condiments. To make lamb burgers, simply combine the ground lamb with some chopped onion, garlic, and spices. Form into patties and cook on a greased grill or skillet over medium heat until browned and cooked through.
How to store
Keto burgers are a delicious and convenient way to enjoy a burger without worrying about ruining your ketosis. However, they can be tricky to store. If not stored properly, they can become dry and crumbly. Here are a few tips to help you store bread burgers so that they stay fresh and delicious.
- First, make sure to wrap the burgers tightly in cling film or aluminum foil. This will help to keep them moist and prevent them from drying out.
- Second, store them in the fridge.
- Finally, make sure to eat the burgers within 2-3 days of cooking. After this time, they may start to deteriorate and lose their flavor.
The following are some frequently asked questions regarding keto burgers.
Yes, you can, but not the traditional ones. A traditional hamburger bun is too high in carbs to be considered keto-friendly.
However, a hamburger bun made from low-carb ingredients is a perfectly acceptable part of the keto diet. When choosing a bun alternative, look for something that is low in carbs and high in fiber.
There are many keto-friendly options available, such as lettuce wraps, cloud bread, and cheese buns.
In addition, be sure to check the ingredients list on your condiments and toppings. Many common hamburger toppings, such as ketchup and BBQ sauce, are high in sugar and carbs.
Choose keto-friendly alternatives like mustard, avocado, or mayonnaise instead. With a little planning, you can enjoy a delicious and satisfying keto hamburger without sacrificing your carefully curated meal plan.
A keto burger is basically a beef patty with bacon (and cheese if you’d like). Lettuce, tomato, pickles, and onions are also included in the ingredients.
The patty is usually grilled or fried, and it is served with a low-carb bun, with no bun, or as a lettuce wrap. Keto burgers are a great option for those following the keto diet, as they are high in fat and low in carbs.
No, they are not. While French fries are typically high in fat, they are also very high in carbs. For this reason, traditional French fries made from potatoes are not considered to be keto-friendly.
However, there are a few ways to enjoy fries on a keto diet.
- One option is to make them at home using low-carb vegetables such as zucchini, jicama, or rutabaga.
- Another option is to look for pre-made keto-friendly French fries made with ingredients such as almond flour or coconut flour.
In any case, keto-friendly French fries can provide an enjoyable and satisfying part of your diet, as long as you use keto-compliant ingredients to make them.
There are plenty of delicious and nutritious low-carb burger toppings that will satisfy your cravings without derailing your diet:
- lettuce, tomato, pickles, and cheese are the classic toppings
- avocado is a great source of healthy fats
- bacon adds a savory flavor and crunchy texture
- mushrooms and onions are low in carbs but high in flavor, making them ideal toppings for a keto burger
- there's no need to give up ketchup and mustard, just look for varieties that are sugar-free